The Sisters

The Sisters

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chili Dogs

Okay so Chili Dogs are not really that great of a culinary experience, but I have to admit I always take the easy road (buy a can of chili). So when I came to this receipe in a cookbook, I decided to try it out. Chili Dogs are a sure ticket to a super easy meal when you come home from work only to take your kid to their after school activities and rush back home to fix dinner so the family is not sitting down to dinner at 8:00. This recipe truly turned out even better than I thought and I am going to really have a hard time buying that can of chili especially since I can control the amount of sugar and sodium when I make it myself. This chili took me about 45 minutes to make from scratch, but I had already precooked the ground beef the night before and put it in the refigerator.

Ingredients
3 pounds of ground beef
6 tbls Chili Powder
1 tbls Salt
1tbls Black Pepper
Water (enough to cover the beef)

Place the cooked beef in a pot and cover with water. Add all the seasonings and stir. Bring to a boil over meduium high heat, then reduce heat and boil gently for about 30 minutes. Use a ladle to remove any of the grease from the top and discard. Serve over your favorite hot dog and condiments. This chili freezes beautifully.

Fried Potatoes
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I subsituted with olive oil)
6 medium potatoes, peeled  and cubed
Salt and Pepper to taste (I also added rosemary and garlic)

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the potatoes and season. Stir. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until browned and tender. (These potatoes were finished by the time I was skimming grease from the top of the chili, it was just perfect timing)

Caramelized Pineapple Rings
6 Pineapple rings
2 tbls honey

Brush the honey on both sides of the pineapple ring. Place in a skillet or on griddle pan. Cook on both sides until warm (about 2 minutes each side)

No comments:

Post a Comment