The Sisters

The Sisters

Monday, January 10, 2011

Southern Plate-Slow Cooker Cornbread Dressing/Cranberry Relish

This is a complete meal in one and I keep forgetting to take pictures, but this was pretty simple and reminded me of Thanksgiving all over again. There are two major preperations and I think in the future I will take some short cuts and it will be just as tasty, but this time I followed the recipe and made everything from scratch.

Chicken Mixture
1 large chicken, cooked, deboned and cut into pieces
1 10.5 ounce can cream of checken soup, undiluted

Note: To cook the chicken place in a large saucepan, cover with warm water and simmer, covered, until the chicken is tender approcimately 1 hour. Save the broth for the dressing.

(I think this is what I would shortcut next time. My eaters prefer all white meat so I will probably just pan fry a couple of chicken breasts and shred)

Mix the chicken and soup together and set aside.

Dressing
1 large skillet cornbread (2 quarts crumbled)
(I used the same cornbread recipe from the blog-my favorite!)
2 tablespoons Sage
1 medium onion chopped
2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 stick margarine, melted
3 to 4 cups chicken broth, from cooking the chicken
1 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup

To make the dressing, mix all of the ingredients together, except for the cream of chicken soup. Layer in a slow cooker in the following order: half can cream of chicken soup, half of the dressing mixture, half of the chicken mixture, the remaining dressing, remaining chicken mixture, and remaining cream of chicken soup. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Serve hot.

Makes about 8 to 10 servings(So I froze half for another time)

This made my house smell like Thanksgiving dinner so I decided to make a cranberry relish to go with it for me and a fruit salad for my girls. The fruit salad was a mixture of apples, mandarin oranges, and pineapple chunks with a tbsp of honey flavored yogurt-one of my girls' favorites. The cranberry relish is my favorite and I just so happened to have some cranberries in my freezer.

Bobby Flay's Cranberry Relish
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries (I use frozen)

  • 1/4 cup brown sugar  

  • 3 tablespoons finely diced red onion (I used a white onion) 

  • 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno

  • 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro

  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice

  • Salt and freshly ground pepper


  • In a hot skillet combine cranberries and brown sugar, cook until berries start to pop. Add all other ingredients, except cilantro, and heat, (add a spoon of water if sauce appears dry). Just before serving, toss in the cilantro

    This is one of the easiest recipes from Bobby Flay and usually takes me about 10 minutes for prep and about 20 minutes to cook down.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment